Icicle Creek Canyon – November, 2013
Easily one of the most gorgeous destinations in Washington, Leavenworth boasts a Bavarian style town surrounded by mountains and timber. Cheap eats, decent beer, and lots of free camp spots scattered about. Snowboarders and skiers can head north up hwy 2 to Stevens Pass and rafting gurus can get a good dip in 30 minutes south in Wenatchee. But the real paradise is for climbers and hikers in the canyons. Here the whole world seems to go silent and one can just exist as part of the landscape. I have climbed here in the rain, snow, burning sun, and all hours of the day/night, with not one bad experience yet over the years.
- Icicle Creek Canyon contains the best boulder fields and camping, with a locals deep water solo on Muscle Beach and plenty of great free solos around Barney’s Rubble. If you enjoy a scramble and chimney climbs, feel free to head straight up Domestic Dome towards the canyon peaks, but watch out for loose rocks and ice
- Castle Rock and Snow Creek Wall include great multi-pitch routes with walk offs available even several hundred feet up
- Peshastin Pinnacles contain crumbly rock but is a beautiful hiking destination
- Camp at 8 Mile Campground in the off season for free camping and for cheap spots during the peak
- Use Mountain Project to find additional climbs and be sure to ask locals for recommendations